I have always known that knowledge is power. Having the right knowledge or information allows us to make the right decisions and choices. Today I’m going to talk about how to boost my metabolism. This is a very important element in losing weight naturally. I have discovered over my many years in sport, that there’re many ways to tackle this problem. So this post will look at the various ways to improve and understand why our metabolism slows down, as we age.
How to boost my metabolism.
Our metabolism plays a very important role with our weight loss or gain. When we consume food or fluids our bodies goes through a break down process. This process encourages your metabolism to work but it’s also stimulated by your thyroid gland too. In other posts I have written, I have spoken about how your body can be affected by an under active or over active thyroid gland. This in turn will affect the efficiency of your metabolism.
What does my metabolism do.
Your metabolism is divided into two parts, which has different functions.
- Anabolism – Takes care of all our bodies growth and repair needs. It takes its energy from food and any unused food ends up being stored as fat.
- Catabolism – This is the name given to the break down of food types, which will include Protein, Carbohydrates and Fats. This then provides the building blocks the body needs.
It can be divided into 3 more categories, which are:
- Energy used during physical activity – This relates to the amount of energy we burn during physical activity.
- Basal metabolic rate – This corresponds to the amount of energy we burn during rest and performing our daily chores.
- Thermic effect of food – This reflects on the energy we burn during eating and digesting our food.
Your body relies on your metabolism to burn calories. I’m going to explain to you how Imagine my metabolism to be, it’ll help you understand it better. I see my metabolism as a fire, now this fire needs fuel to keep it burning. The fuel that it requires is food and drinks, this encourages the fire to burn. That’s it, in a nutshell, imagine it as a fire that requires fuel.
Why does my metabolism slow down.
Our body goes through a number of changes as we get older. Having our metabolism slow down is another part of aging. But this isn’t the only reason why it slows down. This can happen due to:
- Diet – When you eat and what you eat will affect your metabolism.
- Drugs – Can cause your body weight to increase or decrease.
- Physical activity – The type of exercise you do plays a pivotal role.
- Age – Your body slows down as you age and this can affect your bodies natural function.
- Muscle to fat ratio – Having a lower muscle to fat ratio will cause problems.
- Genetics – It could be affected by your family genes.
This doesn’t mean we can’t do anything about it. There’s quite a few things that can be done to speed up a slowing metabolism.
Here’s the bad news, we all put on a little weight as we get older. Now for the good news, it’s not all down to a slow metabolism. Well in some way it is, but the true problem lies with our inactivity as we age. We become more comfortable with life as we get older. This inactivity means fewer calories needed or burned and so our metabolism slows down.
How to speed up my metabolism.
There’s a few good ways to speed up your metabolism and they are all backed by science too. Eating protein in every meal will increase your metabolism by 30%. Make you feel fuller for longer and contribute to your muscle mass.
- Using heavy weights is a great way to increase your metabolism. This is because muscle is more active than fat.
- Taking part in a High intensity workout will do you wonders too. The beauty of this type of workout is that it will keep your body burning calories, even after you’ve stopped your workout.
How to boost my metabolism.
- Drinking green tea is also very good way of helping your body boost your metabolism.
- Spicy food has been known for years to be great for burning calories. Give your meals a little kick and boost your metabolism.
- Drinking cold water has also been suggested for improving your metabolism. It’s not the method I would choose, for the simple reason that, there’s also controversy that water should be drank at room temperature.
Conclusion on how to boost my metabolism.
During our normal working day we will burn a lot of calories. when we eat, we replenish the calories we have used. I have given you quite a few ways to on how to boost my metabolism. They are all great, but because we are all unique, the method of boosting your metabolism will vary. I hope you make the right choice, working with the information I have provided. Please also bear in mind that using to heavy weights can result in joint damage, which might not be repairable.
If you have any questions or comments, please leave them below. I will answer them as soon as possible.