We lose weight and then we gain weight! Weight loss isn’t straight forward, but why? So answer me this question, “What is the secret to weight loss”? Is there a secret? Or does it all boil down to having the right genetics? It’s a subject that will never grow old. Where do you believe you feature in this topic? Questions, questions! I would say that 90% of us have to exercise like crazy, live on a diet or do both and that’s to keep the weight off!
This post will be looking at all the questions I have asked you. But I’ll be giving you the reasons why weight loss might occur and how best to keep off the weight you have lost. Is there a secret to weight loss, let’s take a look and see!
What is the secret to weight loss.
I would like to start this post by saying there’s no magic tablet or drink that’ll make you lose weight fast or slow! Losing weight comes down to a few things and they will ultimately take charge of how you lose weight or gain it.
- Physical activity.
- Your health.
Your Diet – What you eat and drink makes a difference.
The whole concept of dieting is based around what you eat or don’t and how active you are. Has I have said there’s no magical solution to weight loss. I would instruct you to first of all get the basics right, substitute your bad habits for a healthy lifestyle. Eat plenty of vegetables, consume the right amount of protein for your weight and drink plenty of water daily.
The amount of vegetables you eat is up to you, well not totally up to you. What I mean is you cannot eat enough vegetables but make sure your plate is filled with a lot of the dark green vegetables. Such Broccoli, Mustard greens, Spinach and Lettuces. This will guarantee you are receiving your essential minerals and vitamins.
- Water – try to consume up to 2 litres per day.
- Protein – for repair and growth. We need to eat 0.8 grams of protein per kilo of body weight.
- Carbohydrates – means energy.
Your body genetics plays a major role.
Well who do you blame for your body shape or weight gain problems? Your genetics is like your family, you can’t choose your family and unfortunately you can’t choose good genetics! This is one of those facts of life that you just need to learn to work with. The biggest clues to how your body will behave, weight wise or as you get older. Is going to come from your parents.
Each parent contributes 23 chroma zones to creating you. This means you have 50% of the faults, their flaws could be your flaws!
Do you get enough physical activity?
We need to keep moving, exercise is a big contributor to good health. It will help us lose weight but more importantly it will keep our cardiovascular system healthy. Getting older also makes us prone to weight gain, not because of our age but because we become comfortable. We eat more, consume large amounts of alcohol and forget about any form of exercise. This makes us gain weight.
To avoid this big switch to a healthier lifestyle and implement an exercise program.
How is your health?
Let’s take a quick look at what we’ve discovered so far. We’re eating clean and drinking sensible amounts of water daily. But we’re still putting on weight! So tell me, what is the secret to weight loss? Have you taken an in-depth look at your inner health? The problem could lie with your thyroid gland, it could be under active?
To totally rule out this possibility I would suggest you consult your Doctor, at your earliest convenience.
Are you getting the right amount of sleep.
Our bodies need some down time to rejuvenate itself. This usually takes place when we sleep, so getting a good amount of sleep is recommended. There isn’t a specific amount of hours, because we’re all different. Our bodies, along with our daily routines vary. The rule of thumb is that we should try to achieve 6 – 9 hours sleep each night. Not getting a decent amount of sleep can result in:
- Mood swings.
- Heart disease.
- Reduced life expectancy.
The consequences of not achieving quality sleep can be devastating to your health on many levels. The best way to access this is, if you wake up and you’re still feeling tired, then there’s a possibility that you’re not getting enough rest. Make an adjustment and try to check the results.
Getting the plate balance right!
I have observed many diets and I’ve come to the conclusion that the ones that help you lose weight, work on getting your proportions right. This could be the answer to the question. Every meal should consist of the basic elements, which will guarantee we are achieving nutritional value from each meal. But it really doesn’t stop there, because we could be getting the right types of food. But we could be eating too much!
What is the secret to weight loss? At this stage it seems like it’s a multitude of things. Just like the variety of food on our plates, it seems the secret lies in keeping many parts of our lives in balance.
Losing weight by living clean.
Living a healthy lifestyle should be your first choice for weight loss. Just look at it this way, how great would it be if you could eat almost anything you wanted and still lost weight. Well this is what eating clean could do for you, mix in an exercise program and you’re on to a winner!
The secret to keeping weight gain to a minimum.
I believe the key to weight loss success is living a healthy life. One that involves exercise, nutritional food and plenty of rest. Most of us forget the basics and that’s really all we need. But with one little adjustment to the amount we eat. I would like you to try to burn more calories than you eat!
Extreme weight loss explained.
The best and healthiest way to lose weight is to lose weight slowly. I know that their might be circumstances where you might need to lose a lb or 2 quickly. But with a little planning that shouldn’t have to happen. The term extreme weight loss applies to anyone who loses more that 10lbs of weight over a short period. The time frame is usually 6 to 12 months.
To achieve extreme weight loss you need to be burning more calories than you are consuming. This should only be done for a short period. Do remember your body has its basic needs and you can damage your health, if you attempt this kind of weight loss for a long period!
How many calories does your food contain?
You are what you eat, so try to be a little wiser about what your food contains. I’m not trying to say you should walk around your local superstore scanning every item you put in your shopping basket. But having a basic idea wouldn’t go a miss.
The list I have composed, lists the calories found in everyday foods listing their calorie content per average portion. The
list also gives you the calorie content in 100 grams so it can be compared with any other
products not listed here. The chart can be useful if you want to exchange a type of food with similar calorie
content when following a weight loss low calorie program.
The calories list is broken down into sections based on basic food groups of a balanced diet.
Breads and cereals.
- Bagel ( 1 average ) 140 Cals (45g) 310 Cals Medium.
- Biscuit digestives 86 Cals (Per biscuit) 480 Cals High.
- Jaffa cake 48 Cals (Per biscuit) 370 Cals Med-High.
- Bread white (Thick slice) 96 Cals (1 slice 40g) 240 Cals Medium.
- Bread wholemeal (Thick) 88 Cals (1 slice 40g) 220 Cals Low-med.
- Cornflakes 130 Cals (35g) 370 Cals Med-High.
- Crackerbread 17 Cals per slice 325 Cals Low Calorie.
- Cream crackers 35 Cals (Per cracker) 440 Cals Low / portion.
- Crumpets 93 Cals (Per crumpet) 198 Cals Low-Med.
- Flapjacks basic fruit mix 320 Cals 500 Cals High.
- Macaroni (Boiled) 238 Cals (250g) 95 Cals Low calorie.
- Muesli 195 Cals (50g) 390 Cals Med-high.
- Naan bread (Normal) 300 Cals (small plate size) 320 Cals Medium.
- Noodles (Boiled) 175 Cals (250g) 70 Cals Low calorie.
- Pasta ( Normal boiled ) 330 Cals (300g) 110 Cals Low calorie.
- Pasta (Wholemeal boiled ) 315 Cals (300g) 105 Cals Low calorie.
- Porridge oats (With water) 193 Cals (350g) 55 Cals Low calorie.
- Potatoes (Boiled) 210 Cals (300g) 70 Cals Low calorie.
- Potatoes (Roast) 420 Cals (300g) 140 Cals Medium.
- Rice (white Boiled) 420 Cals (300g) 140 Cals Low calorie.
- Chinese rice (Egg-fried) 500 Cals 200 Cals High in portion.
- Rice ( Brown ) 405 Cals (300g) 135 Cals Low calorie.
- Rice cakes 28 Cals = 1 slice 373 Cals Medium.
- Ryvita Multi grain 37 Cals per slice 331 Cals Medium.
- Spaghetti (Boiled) 303 Cals (300g) 101 Cals Low calorie.
Meats & Fish.
- Bacon average fried 250 Cals (2 rashers) 500 Cals High.
- Bacon average grilled 150 Cals 380 Cals Med-High.
- Beef (Roast) 300 Cals 280 Cals Medium.
- Beef burgers frozen 320 Cals 280 Cals Med-High.
- Chicken 220 Cals 200 Cals Medium.
- Cockles 50 Cals 50 Cals Low.
- Cod fresh 150 Cals 100 Cals Low calorie.
- Cod chip shop food 400 Cals 200 Cals Med-High.
- Crab fresh 200 Cals 110 Cals low calorie.
- Fish cake 90 Cals per cake 200 Cals Medium.
- Fish fingers 50 Cals per piece 220 Cals Medium.
- Gammon 320 Cals 280 Cals Med-High.
- Ham 6 Cals 240 Cals Medium.
- Sausage pork fried 250 Cals 320 Cals High.
- Sausage pork grilled 220 Cals 280 Cals Med-High. “Portion sizes will vary depending on the type and make of product purchased”.
- Fat 130 260 calories Medium.
- Cheese spreads average 90 Cals 270 Medium.
- Cottage cheese low fat 40 calories 80 Cals low – med.
- Milk semi-skimmed 125 Cals (250ml/half pint) 50 Cals Medium.
- Milk skimmed 95 Cals (250ml/half pint) 38 Cals Low calorie.
As you can see there’s a lot you can do to cut back on the calories you consume. The biggest problem is knowing what type of food to cut back on! I do believe that we shouldn’t be asking what is the secret to weight loss, we should be asking who knows the secret of weight loss. Because that’s really what it boils down to, if we all knew the secret we would all be able to achieve our dreams and that would allow us to achieve anything we wanted.
What is the secret to weight loss – the conclusion.
To be able to lose weight sensibly and keeping it off. You need to be aware of all aspects of your life, what you eat, how much sleep you get and how much exercise you are getting. This is the short version, from all the various topics I have written above. You wanted to know what the secret to weight loss was and now you do!
It’s no longer a secret, but I have found that having the information isn’t everything! You must follow the steps above to achieve your targets, it’s that simple. Take action and take it now! You can do it – I have faith in you!
I hope you have enjoyed this post and I hope it helps you achieve your weight loss targets. If, you have any questions or comments please leave them below. I will answer them as soon as possible.